Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Thanksgiving Day

This Thanksgiving was one of my favorite Thanksgivings of my life.  It was certainly my favorite Thanksgiving since going away to college.

We had Brian, Norma, William, and Sierra to our house for the big celebration.  They arrived a little before noon and stayed until around 7 that evening.  Everyone was so relaxed and happy.  Kirsten and Reagan play with William and Sierra all day, and that made it easy for the grown-ups to talk and get dinner ready.

I brined the turkey this year, which means I soaked it in ice water, apple juice, and various spices over night before I put it in the oven on Thanksgiving Day.  It was really moist, and I thought it tasted great.  If you ever try brining your turkey though, be advised that it cooks a lot faster this way.  According to how much the turkey weighed, it should have taken a little over four hours, but in reality it only took 2 and a half hours.  I'm glad I had a meat thermometer.  Otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought of even checking on the turkey that soon. 

Everything was yummy, which makes for a nice Thanksgiving.  Norma and Brian brought sweet potato casserole, rolls, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce, and I also made the stuffing and the gravy.  For dessert we had key lime pie, apple pie, and double layer pumpkin cheese cake.

After dinner, the kids played outside while the grown-ups talked.  Brian fell asleep on one couch, and Matt fell asleep on the other couch.  Reagan came inside around three o'clock looking beat, and she took a nap in her bed.  Norma laid down in Kirsten's room on the bottom bunk, and I dozed off while Kirsten, William, and Sierra watched The Road to El Dorado on Netflix.  Everyone was so relaxed, as I've already said.  We had good company, and I got to be at my own house with them.  I think that is what made it my favorite Thanksgiving ever.   

1 comment:

  1. Glad that your day was so pleasant. Sounds like everyone else found it pretty relaxing, too! There's so much to be grateful for. Much love.

    ReplyDelete