Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Kindergarten Registration

 Looking back on the week I can't remember what we did.  Everything feels like a blur.  I'm tired and often feel sick to my stomach.  In a word, I'm pregnant.

That being said, I don't think I've posted pictures of the girls' sports camp.  The week I found out I was pregnant, the girls did a Tiny Tots Sports Camp through the Springville Parks and Recreation Department.  It was for children ages 3-5.  My girls were the only siblings there, but they really liked doing it together.  Reagan got frustrated a couple of times because she felt like she couldn't do things as well as her sister, but since there were other three year olds, her performance seemed more normal to her than it does at home.  She's always comparing herself to Kirsten, which is completely normal, but very frustrating for her.  The girls got to try a little bit of basketball, tennis, t-ball, kickball, tumbling, golf, etc.  At the end they got some awesome medals, fruit snacks, and an otter pop.  What a week!

Reagan celebrating her accomplishments

Kirsten celebrating
 The following Monday we did the Temple to Temple 5K Run/Walk as a family.  We started at the Provo Temple and finished at the Provo City Center Temple.  The 5K was a Pioneer Day activity, and on our bibs there was a spot to write down the name of an ancestor to whom we were dedicating our walk.  I did a little research the night before and found some stories about our Mormon Pioneer ancestors.

Reagan walked in honor of Ellen Rhees who was born in England, and when she joined the LDS Church at the age of 16, her mother kicked her out of the house.  She moved to another part of England to live with her brother and met a man whose mother had also kicked him out of the house for becoming a Mormon.  They got married and had three children in England.  All three of their children died of a childhood illness, and then they immigrated to Salt Lake City.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the stories of the other women.  Ellen Rhees's story had a big impact on me though.

The walk itself was somewhat enjoyable for me and Matt.  The girls hated it, but they did finish!  I was impressed that they walked the whole way--even if they did complain quite a lot.  But really, can you blame them?  They are really young.

At the finish line
On Wednesday Reagan got sick again.  She developed a cough, a sore throat,  and a really high fever.  I took her to the doctor on Thursday because I was feeling like she was getting this same set of symptoms all the time.  I thought the doctor might suggest seeing an ENT about her tonsils, but he was more concerned about her breathing.  She was wheezing, which I had noticed, but wasn't high on my list of concerns.  However, that wheezing seems to be the key to her diagnosis.  Apparently, the doctor is fairly certain that she has childhood asthma, which we can treat with a a steroid breathing treatment.  Now she should get sick less often.  So far so good.

Today we registered Kirsten for Kindergarten.  After Kirsten did her Kindergarten assessment to determine what class she should be in, I asked her what kinds of questions they asked her.  She responded that she had forgotten all of the questions.  That worried me a little bit.  So, I asked her if she knew any of the answers to the questions.  "Oh, yes, I knew all the answers."  Okay, that made me feel better.

Of course, Reagan is a tiny bit jealous.  Reagan starts preschool August 29th, and Kirsten starts Kindergarten on August 30th.  So maybe that will take some of the edge off for Reagan.

No comments:

Post a Comment