Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Summer Fun and Summer Sickness

I haven't written for awhile because there doesn't seem to be much of an overarching narrative to the last month and a half.  We've done some fun activities, and we've had to cancel other fun activities because we've been sick.  This summer Kirsten and Reagan have both had pink eye twice.  Matt has gotten pink eye once, and he developed a secondary sinus infection.  Then he got another cold when the girls had their second round of pink eye.  I got a horrible cold during the second round of pink eye that developed into bronchitis, and when I was almost better from the bronchitis, I got a 24 hour stomach bug.  That really lowered my morale.  On the bright side, Madelyn only got a little congested.

I think poor Reagan has had it the worst of all though.  The second time Reagan got pink eye, she developed a secondary ear infection.  The ear infection didn't respond to the first antibiotic the doctor prescribed.  So, a week later when she had green pus coming out of her ear, I took her back to the doctor, and he prescribed another antibiotic.  Two days later she still wasn't feeling better.  So, we went back to the doctor's office, and while we were there, her hand started swelling.  Then the doctor noticed that her knees and ankles were swelling.  Apparently, she was having an allergic reaction to the second antibiotic.  As such, we stopped giving her that antibiotic, gave her some Zyrtec, and used antibiotic ear drops.  Today we went for a follow-up appointment, and even though she's not complaining of ear pain right now, it seems that it's still infected.  So, I guess it's off to the ENT.  Poor girl!  Keep her in your prayers, please.

Despite being sick, we have managed to have some fun this summer.  Right after Art City Days, we went to a Unicorn Party at the Orem Mall with the girls' friend Gracie.  They all dressed up in fancy dresses and got to ride real unicorns!  Well, they weren't actually real unicorns, but they wanted them to be real so bad that they convinced themselves that the ponies with horns attached to their heads were unicorns.

Kirsten, Gracie, and Reagan

Reagan on her unicorn

Kirsten on her unicorn--note the rainbow-colored mane

That same week Kirsten and Reagan participated in a Farm Camp put on by Harward Farms, which is a local operating farm in Springville.  They learned about where their food comes from, gardening, animals, bugs, and much more.  They even got to ride a horse, and on bug day each girl got to bring home a jar of lady bugs.  They loved Farm Camp and can't wait to do it again next year.  One afternoon Reagan told me she felt like she was living in a dream because she got to do so much fun stuff at Farm Camp.  What a sweet and enthusiastic thing to say!

Reagan and Kirsten with a pig

Matt and I got to go on Parent Day


Kirsten in the tractor

Reagan in the tractor

In the bed of a neat truck
 We didn't make it to a lot of library story times this summer, which was unusual for us, but we did make it to two or three of them.

Posing with statues at the library

Eating a cookie they decorated
 Madelyn's head has started to get a little flat, and since I really don't want her to need a helmet, we've been upping her tummy time by A LOT.  She hasn't been crazy about that, but I guess she'd be even less crazy about having a helmet or having a flat head.  So, I try to make it as painless as possible.  A friend of mine suggested showing her Baby Einstein videos while she does tummy time, and while the educational veracity of Baby Einstein videos has been debunked, I do have to admit that they do help her not cry during tummy time.  Now she is more comfortable on her tummy, and I don't even need to play the videos anymore.  I'm pleased with that.

Three girls doing tummy time
 One week Reagan participated in a Tiny Tots Sports Camp with her friend Gracie.  Can you believe it?  Kirsten is too old to be a tiny tot anymore.  She handled being on the sidelines well, and Reagan flourished as she learned more about sports and didn't have to compare herself with her older sister. Reagan was particularly pleased that she could bounce and catch a ball, and she loved hula hooping.  She definitely has the hips for it.

Reagan and Gracie with their medals on the last day
 My friend Alyssa, Gracie's mom, invited our family to join them for a family barbecue.  The girls all had fun playing in the water together, and Matt and I enjoyed talking to other adults.

I snapped this picture of Kirsten relaxing in their hammock

Madelyn turned four months old

Reagan held the microphone up to Madelyn's mouth to amplify her cries--lovely

During the first two weeks of July, Kirsten and Reagan had swim lessons.  Unfortunately, Reagan had to miss a couple of lessons because she got pink eye, and I couldn't take them the first week because I was so sick.  Thankfully, my mom was willing to take them, and she even did free swim with them a couple of times.  The second week I was feeling considerably better.  So, I was able to take them and cough on the sidelines.  On the last day I was well enough to do free swim with them.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that all that swimming after having a nasty cold was the cause of Reagan's ear infection from hell.  But on the bright side, they LOVED their swim lessons.  Seriously, I've never seen them enjoy themselves that much in the water, and they already loved swimming.

One Friday evening we went to the Pioneer Village in Provo.  It's such a fascinating place to visit.  The Sons of the Utah Pioneers have collected several original pioneer cabins from Utah Valley and restored them.  They are filled with authentic pioneer furnishings, and they even have a working blacksmith shop.  Incidentally, the man who showed us around the Pioneer Village on this particular trip is Warren Jeffs' half-brother.  Our guide, whose name I can't remember, took his step-father's last name because he didn't want to be associated with the polygamist sect after he and his mother left.  He was such a sweet, old man and wanted to be sure that we understood that while he had ten children, they were all with the same wife.

Wearing bonnets
One Saturday morning while Matt was helping with an Elders' Quorum service project, the girls and I went up to Bridal Veil Falls.  They loved Bridal Veil Falls.  We waded in the freezing cold water, explored in the forest, and ate a picnic lunch.

Playing at the bottom of the falls


We even saw an ice cream truck and got some ice cream.  It sure was yummy!  They kept saying that it was a dream come true to actually see an ice cream truck in real life.

Eating ice cream

Reagan and Madelyn
Another evening we went to the Mapleton City Park, and while we were there, some performers were practicing a Disney medley on the gazebo stage.  Before they started, someone in the group said that they were celebrating someone's birthday that evening.  So, for the first several songs, Matt and I thought the performance was some sort of elaborate birthday party.  Finally, it occurred to us that they were practicing for a Pioneer Day performance and had just mentioned a cast member's birthday at the beginning of the practice.  The girls never got it out of their heads that it was birthday party, and they would like Matt and I to perform for them on their next birthday.

Madelyn went in the baby swing for the first time.  She was very stoic.

That Friday we went to Farm Country.  Jennie and her kids came, and so did Megan and her kids.  I was happy that Matt could come, too, even though it was a work day.

Kirsten with a cow statue

Reagan on her pony

Kirsten on her pony

Last week my Uncle Bill came to town, and we got to visit with him the evening that he was staying with my parents.  It was good to see him.  I haven't seen him since the summer after my mission.

Madelyn used the Johnny Jumper for the first time and loved it.

On Pioneer Day our family participated in the Temple to Temple 5K in Provo.  We were so proud of our girls.  They finished in about 53 minutes.  For a good portion of the way, we let Reagan set the pace.  At one point she ran a half mile in about six and a half minutes.  Matt had been intending to take Kirsten ahead to push her a little bit because traditionally Reagan drags her feet, which is age appropriate for a four year old, but every time Matt and Kirsten would start going, Reagan would run too.  She didn't want to be left behind.

At the finish line
That evening we went bowling in Payson.  To motivate them to run during the 5K, we told them they would get a special treat for pushing themselves, and they unanimously chose to go bowling.  They were tired, and unbeknownst to us Reagan still had her ear infection.  However, despite being physically exhausted, they really seemed to enjoy themselves.

In an attempt to keep Madelyn off the back of her head, so that it will round out, we bought her this Bumbo seat, and she really likes it.  Isn't she adorable?

Enjoying the Bumbo seat

Reagan with Porter

Kirsten and Reagan messing around

On Saturday we went to the End of Summer Reading Party at the library.  I've always thought they should have the summer reading program last a little bit longer since school doesn't start for three more weeks, but oh, well.  We've read some really fun books this summer.  I've been so impressed by the girls' attention span.  Aside from countless story books, we've read several chapter books, including Charlotte's Web, The Hundred Dresses, The Magic Finger, The Twits, Catwings, and The BFG.  Right now we are reading Martin's Mice.

Reagan designed a BFG balloon

Kirsten made an owl

Since we had to cancel our second session of swim lessons to let Reagan's ear heal, I decided to buy a family membership to Thanksgiving Point for the year.  So, this Monday we went with my parents to The Museum of Ancient Life.  We saw lots of neat dinosaurs, and the girls got to do lots of hands-on activities.  I'm excited to have the membership, and I've got it on my calendar to go to the other venues several times this week and next week.  I really want to make the most of the next couple of weeks and enjoy the last few weeks of summer before school starts.

Playing with dinos in the sand

The girls loved this lizard



Kirsten took this picture of Madelyn

Yesterday evening Madelyn tried her first bit of baby food.  After tasting the food for the first time, she laughed out loud.  I obviously can't read her thoughts, but she seemed to be incredulous that she was getting to eat just like the rest of us!  It was cute.

1 comment:

  1. love love love love love!! :) What wonderful stories, what an amazing and active summer. Thank you, Whitney, for all you do. I am so sorry you all were sick so often. Moms can't ever really be sick, I know, so I know you powered through which is likely why you got the flu right after bronchitis. That used to happen to me, too, because it's just impossibly to truly rest. Was Reagan's ear infection inner or outer? I get regular outer ear infections, I used to get antibiotics and drops and it took forever to heal from them. Now I use a few natural ingredients and I haven't had an infection for over 5 years so if it was an outer ear and she gets it again, I would be happy to tell you what I found after 35 years of constant battle with them. If you want to know. It can be irritating when other people want to tell you what they do but really, it is the only thing that has saved me from this endless round of ear problems. My ears are filled with scar tissue from the first double swimmer's ear infection when I was 16 and so I am an unfortunate 'expert' at them now. But, like I said, I finally found the secret and non pharmaceutical way to treat them. Very awesome about all the activities and I'm so glad Madelyn likes her bouncy chairs and solid food. I had to laugh at her first swing picture. She does look stoic. lol. I love and miss you all so much, I'm very excited for the girls back to school season. Have fun with that and enjoy the few moments a day with just Maddie. Love you all so much!!

    ReplyDelete