Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Super Saturday: Polar Plunge and City Creek

Everyone was healthy this week, and we took full advantage of our health by playing hard.  On Thursday we were finally able to get to together with our friends Brett and Alana.  They drove down from West Jordan, and we played around  the house.  After eating lunch, we all walked over to Kirsten's preschool to feed the animals before Kirsten's class started.  I had some less than appetizing carrots and celery that the llamas, goats, and sheep were crazy about.  I was ridiculously happy to be able to spend time with my friend Jennie and her kids.  The sun was shining, and it was so nice to be outside!

The kids at the farm

On Saturday we drove up to Salt Lake to watch Matt participate in the Polar Plunge as a member of the TD Ameritrade team.  Thank you to all of you who sponsored Matt by donating money to the Special Olympics.  When we arrived, Matt picked up his shirt, and we all eat yummy, if not so healthy snacks.  Then it was time for the different teams to jump into the outdoor pool at the Sheraton Hotel. Matt did a great job, and it was fun for the three of us to watch him.

Later Kirsten asked me to explain the Special Olympics.  As I struggled to explain mental disabilities to Kirsten, I found myself saying that even though some people's bodies get older they still act like they are eight.  Kirsten considered my explanation and asked, "Does daddy still act like he's eight?"  I cracked up.  Literally, I laughed so hard.  Then I had to explain that daddy was not participating in the Special Olympics.  The Polar Plunge was a fundraiser for the Special Olympics.  Then I had to explain fundraisers and so forth.  I think she may have been confused by my many never-ending explanations.
Posing before the Polar Plunge


The actual polar plunge

Post-plunge

A nice boy gave the girls these hats

Post-Plunge
After the Polar Plunge, we walked over to the City Creek Center.  We enjoyed looking at the fish in the creek, and the girls loved climbing all over the rocks.  Then we played on the mall playground and ate in the food court.  Reagan ate nine chicken nuggets and half a cheeseburger.  That's a lot for someone so little!  After lunch we browsed the Disney Store.  The girls and I were in heaven.  We didn't buy anything, but we drank in the Disney spirit.

Climbing on the rocks at City Creek Center

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun week. Kirsten's comment about her dad's mental age is comparable to Brian's belief that his dad couldn't read. When I asked what made him think that, he said "If he could read, when he drives he wouldn't always be asking you to read the signs!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian was four when he made the comment. Four year olds are wonderful little people. :) I removed my first comment because of poor wording--I wanted to simply edit it, but couldn't so I deleted it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete