Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Tulip Festival Half Marathon

The last week has been filled with fun adventures again!

The girls painted their own fingernails and toenails.  I particularly like Reagan's method for painting her toenails.

Kirsten brought home a jellyfish from preschool.  So cute!

Kirsten and I made a bumblebee on Friday morning.
 Around 11:30 on Friday my friend Melanie came over with her kids for our weekly play date.  Kirsten didn't eat lunch, and when I touched her, I could tell that she was burning up.  After I checked her temperature and found she had a fever of 103, Melanie packed up her kids and went home.  Can you believe it?  We had to cut our play date with them short two weeks in a row because my kids started showing symptoms of being sick in the middle of the play date.  I was a little embarrassed, but honestly, Kirsten hadn't seemed sick at all while we were making the bumblebee earlier that morning.

That afternoon was the first time Kirsten has taken a nap in years.  She even napped the next day.  Fortunately she got better by Monday without needing to go to the doctor.  I was glad about that.

Speaking of naps, Reagan has been having a hard time falling asleep at night.  So, I thought I'd start weaning her off her naps.  I told her that she could stay awake during quiet time if she wanted, but the adorable little girl fell asleep anyway.  What a snuggly sight to walk in on after quiet time!

Exhausted little girl.

 Saturday morning I woke up early to run my second half marathon at Thanksgiving Point.  This time I ran it in 2 hours 14 minutes and 46 seconds, which was an average of 10:17 per mile.  I improved my time by 2 minutes 11 seconds!  The first seven miles of the course were relatively flat and easy.  I even passed the 2:10 pacer.  I was cruising and felt great!  However, the last six miles were in the golf course, and there were a lot of hills.  The hills were steep.  At some point, the 2:10 pacer cruised past me, but I was pleased that I never even saw the 2:20 pacer.

It was a beautiful morning to be out running, and the food at the finish line was very yummy.  I quickly drank a water bottle and a chocolate milk followed by eating a glazed donut, part of a bagel, a bag of Sun Chips, and a banana.  Then I laid down in the grass to stretch.  I was filled with a feeling of satisfaction and contentment as I felt the gentle Spring sun shine on me.

This is the finisher's medal I earned.



If you want to watch me cross the finish line, you can watch the video.  Start at 1:13.  I felt much more impressive when I crossed the finish line than I looked.  Honestly, when I crossed the finish line, I felt like I was going so fast because I gave it everything I had right there at the end.  I look exhausted, which is how I felt.  So, at least looks don't deceive in this case, right?

On Monday we went to my friend Jennie's house.  She had her third baby a month ago, and it was so good to see them again.  Kirsten and Reagan enjoyed holding baby Lizzie.

Later that day Kirsten told me that she'd better not hold babies anymore or else she might start wanting one.

Reagan loved the baby too.
 On Tuesday Kirsten had a Pirate Party at preschool.  I put her hair in pigtails and put a bandana around her head.  She wore some costume jewelry and her snow boots.  Kirsten was very pleased with her costume, and she had a great time at the party.  They practiced their letters with lots of fun pirate-themed games.


2 comments:

  1. You were looking good crossing the line! I can't wait til we can run another one together. My next is June 4, and it's a hot and hilly one.

    Love all the pics of the girls too, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I'm so impressed with your running abilities! Thanks for coming to visit us, we sure have missed you!

    ReplyDelete