Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Crazy times

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Matt went hunting with one of his friends from work, and the girls and I went to spend the day with a friend of mine and her daughters.  Megan and I hadn't seen each other in a long time, and it was really good to catch up.  She has two little girls, too, and the four of them played dress up, hide and seek, and built a snowman.  I forgot to take pictures, but it was a great time despite the disputes over who would wear the brand-new Ariel dress :)

Matt came home with three rabbits, and a couple of days later we made Rabbit Fricasee, which is a rabbit recipe that his friend suggested.  It smelled delicious, but honestly, it was too spicy for me.  If we make it again, I will only put in one tablespoon of cayenne pepper instead of two.  My mouth felt scorched when I was done with the meal.  At any rate, Matt and I had fun cooking it together.
 
Rabbit Fricasee
On Friday we went to play with my friend Jennie and her kids.  Jennie had made sugar cookies, and the kids got to frost them and put sprinkles on them.  After they ate their sugar cookies, we realized that we had forgotten to give them lunch first.  They didn't seem to mind much though.

Enjoying yummy sugar cookies.

We decided that we wanted to spend Saturday together as a family since we hadn't done anything together on the holiday.  Our original plan was to go sledding at Jolley's Ranch up Hobble Creek Canyon, but when we got there, we discovered that Springville City isn't offering their usual winter activities this year.  We were kind of bummed about that, and since the girls were so stoked about sledding, we decided to try getting new sleds (the ones we have aren't that great), so that we could go sledding on our own.  Allen's and Walmart were both out of stock, which isn't surprising so late in the winter. 

Then we decided that instead of sledding we would go to the Kangaroo Zoo bounce house in Pleasant Grove.  By the time we got there, it was noon, and Reagan had been asleep in the car for an hour or more.  We figured we'd better get lunch before we started playing.  On our way to get lunch, Matt turned into the turning lane to turn into a gas station, and right there in the turning lane, we ran out of gas.  Fortunately, we were in the turning lane, and fortunately, a man on the corner noticed our predicament and immediately offered to help Matt push our car into the gas station while I steered. 

After getting gas, we went to lunch at a neat restaurant called The Purple Turtle.  When we got there, I woke Reagan up and started taking off her snow pants since they were no longer appropriate attire.  She cried, "Mommy, what are you doing?  We're going sledding!"  Matt responded, "A lot has happened since you fell asleep, Reagan."  She took it in stride, especially once she realized that we were planning on going to the bounce house.  Apparently, all the chaos of the day swamped my brain, and I forgot to order lunch for myself, which I didn't realize until they called our number and I went to pick up our food at the pick up window.  At this point, Kirsten declares she's not hungry, and Reagan says that instead of the cheeseburger she ordered, she wants the chicken nuggets Kirsten ordered.  Matt takes the cheeseburger that I have ripped in half to make it easier for Reagan to eat and hands the chicken nuggets to Reagan.  He gallantly suggests that I eat the burger he had ordered for himself, which I did.  It all worked out, I guess, but Matt may have gotten the short end of the stick as far as lunch is concerned.

After lunch we decided that the Kangaroo Zoo would not be a good option because you have weigh less than 150 pounds to jump, which meant that Matt couldn't jump.  I found another place online that wasn't far from where we were, and we went to jump.  Roller skating was also included in the price.  Unfortunately, about thirty minutes in to jumping, I realized that Kirsten was sick.  She kept laying down and coughing.  She kept insisting that she felt well, but she wouldn't do anything.  Imagine being at such a fun place and feeling like you can't move because you're so sick.  It was so sad.  Everybody had a good time, even Kirsten, I suppose.  But I think we weren't quite up to all the activity after spending so many hours driving around trying to figure out what to do together.  I'd like to try that place again when we are a little bit more prepared.

Reagan at the skating rink.



Relaxing after a wild day.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I am so impressed you cooked a rabbit!
    2. Saturdays like that normally make me really grumpy, but it sounds like you were all still able to have a lot of fun!
    3. I hope Kirsten is feeling all better now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day! It can be difficult to "carry on" through so much chaos! But sometimes, that's what happens. :) I'm glad you got some food, I get really grumpy if I don't get to eat!

    ReplyDelete